Because sometimes you finish a book but you aren’t finished with the characters, here are five* characters I would like to check in with:
1. Naoko from A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki. I loved getting to know Nao through her diary, and I really want to know what she did with her life after she finished writing it. What does her life look like when Ruth finds the diary on the beach?
2. Nick, Amy, and their kid from Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. I thought this book’s dark, twisty shocker of an ending was perfect — but I’m dying to know what growing up in the Dunn household will be like for Nick and Amy’s child. Let’s check back in 15 years.
3. Offred from The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood. The ambiguous ending of this book is part of why I love it, but I still want to know what really happened to Offred!
4. Peggy Hillcoat from Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller. When the novel ends, Peggy has only recently returned home from her years in the wilderness, and she’s still pretty raw. She has a hard road ahead of her, and I’d like to see how she’s doing a few years down the line.
5. Ava Bigtree from Swamplandia! by Karen Russell. I could really have used the Socratic Salon when I read this book three years ago. So many feels! The ending tied things up nicely — at least for the moment — but I’d love to see how things work out for Ava in the long run.
*I know this was supposed to be Top Ten Tuesday, but I’m a rebel, so five it is!
What characters would you like to revisit?